Pastoral Update from Sunday, April 25
Remarks from Kevin Gilmore, shared in the gatherings on behalf of the church board, can be found on the College Church Youtube channel.
*Update: the board voted unanimously to extend an invitation to a pastoral candidate to participate in an All Church Meeting on Wedensday, May 5. After which, we will conduct a pastoral vote on Sunday, May 9, in-person – before, between and following the gatherings – as well as by drive-thru balloting from 1:30-2:30 pm at the Garrett Chapel Entrance awning.
I’d like to remind you of the foundational statement our Board has adopted for this process. “We believe finding a pastor is not a competition among a group of qualified candidates (it is not simply a job interview), but a process for discerning who the Lord is calling to be our next pastor.”
The first two steps in our process are now completed.
- Profile – The component elements of the Profile document were compiled and distributed to the Board in draft form for review three weeks ago. The Profile document was approved by the Board at last week’s meeting.
- Potential Candidate Pool – The list of potential candidates has been gathered over the past few months and was presented to the Board at last week’s meeting.
- Narrow the Candidate Pool – The Board will narrow the pool and have conversations with those remaining candidates.
- Select a Nominee – In consultation with our DS, the board will select one of the narrowed pool candidates as a final nominee and conduct a more formal, final interview.
- Meet/Greet – If the final process is positive, the Board will recommend the candidate to the congregation. An all-church meeting will be called for a time to meet/greet the candidate and, a day or two later, a vote will take place among the membership.
While God’s timing will take precedence over any plans we have developed, the Board has agreed on this timeline to gauge our progress:
- Dec to Mid-Feb Call to prayer; profile development/completion
- Late Feb DS presents names to Board for consideration
- March Conversations with narrowed potential candidate pool
- April Interview of potential Lead Pastor candidate
- May Congregational meeting and vote
- June Installation of our new Lead Pastor
Candidate Pool Narrowing Process
39 names were received from:
- Denominational Leaders
- District Superintendent
Candidate Pool Narrowing Process
- 39 names received by Church Board
- 15 of the 39 names recommended by DS
- Summary info provided on each
- Board narrowed pool to 9 in February
- As of March 28, 3 of the 9 names remain in consideration
- As of April 11, a pastoral candidate was scheduled to visit with the board this week.
- As of April 18, the Pastoral candidate agreed to a Pastoral visit with the entire congregation.
We continue to make progress along our proposed path and timeline as we have narrowed the candidate field to three.
- A Pastoral Candidate has been invited to share with entire congregation on May 5, at 7 pm in the Main Worship Center.
- Following the All Church Meeting, there will be a Pastoral Vote of the membership of College Church on Sunday, May 9.
This entire process has been bathed in prayer and we were honored, at our last meeting, to have the members of the Prayer Task Force pray with the Board prior to the start of our last meeting and to have them praying for us in another room as we met.
James 1:5-6 “5 If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you. 6 But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt,”
We ask that you continue to pray as follows:
- That our new Lead Pastor clearly senses the leading of the Holy Spirit as he is contacted.
- Wisdom, discernment and unity of the Board as the search process moves forward.
Thank you for praying for this process and believing, without doubt, the Lord is leading us to the pastor He has already called to our Church.